Knowledgeable New York Attorneys for Modifications of Court Orders

Court orders issued pursuant to a divorce or Family Court case aren’t always set in stone. Judges recognize that circumstances can change over time and can give rise to the need for a modification. If you are seeking modifications or disputing a requested change to an existing child custody, child support, or alimony/spousal maintenance order, it’s vital to have an experienced attorney to help you navigate the legal process. The divorce and family law attorneys at The Edelsteins, Faegenburg & Brown, LLP are committed to guiding clients through modification matters and work diligently to obtain favorable results on their behalf through negotiation, mediation, and litigation.

Skillful Counsel for Child Custody Modifications

A child’s needs can change as they get older. A custody order issued for a toddler won’t address the needs of a teen. If there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the order was issued, and a modification would be in your child’s best interests, a judge may grant a request to change a child custody arrangement. Specifically, a child custody order may be modified for a number of reasons, including the following:

  • A parent wishes to move away with the child
  • There is evidence of abuse or neglect
  • A parent has been diagnosed with a serious medical condition
  • The child has been diagnosed with a serious illness or special needs
  • A parent is dealing with a substance abuse issue
  • The home environment of either parent has become unstable

The family law attorneys at The Edelsteins, Faegenburg & Brown, LLP, are dedicated to assisting clients with child custody modifications and strive to achieve the best possible outcome in their cases. Whether you are the parent seeking to make a change to an existing custody order — or you’re opposing a modification request — we know how important your relationship with your children is. Providing personalized time and attention in every case, we work to protect your rights and ensure the best interests of your children are met.

Reliable Representation for Child Support Modifications

Both parents have an obligation to financially support their children — and child support can be crucial to ensuring they thrive. However, after a child support order has been issued, either parent may file a petition for an upward or downward modification if certain criteria are met. Under New York law, a child support order may be modified if three years have passed since the order was entered or last modified, there has been a substantial, unanticipated change in circumstances, or either parent’s gross income has changed 15% or more.

If you have obtained new employment, experienced an involuntary layoff, or developed a serious health condition that prevents you from working, the attorneys at The Edelsteins, Faegenburg & Brown LLP will skillfully guide you through the procedures to secure a modification. Whether you are the party looking to modify an order or you’re disputing the other parent’s request, we apply our years of extensive experience in handling child support modification matters to help you build the strongest case possible.

Adept Advocacy for Spousal Maintenance Modifications

Alimony, also referred to as spousal support or spousal maintenance, is payment made after a divorce from the higher-earning spouse to the spouse who was financially dependent. It can be essential to a spouse who contributed to the marriage in non-financial ways and allow them to get back on their feet after divorce. But similar to child support, there can be valid reasons why a court order should be changed. For instance, if the party receiving alimony no longer has a need for the payments or the paying party has experienced a pay cut, a modification may be warranted.

Maintenance modifications can be complex and proper legal procedures must be followed to obtain one — the paying spouse cannot simply stop making payments. Notably, in some cases, spouses may work together outside of court to reach a modification without judicial intervention. At The Edelsteins, Faegenburg & Brown, LLP, our attorneys are adept at evaluating alimony orders, and can advise you regarding your rights and options.

Contact an Experienced Divorce and Family Law Attorney

Modification of child custody, child support, and maintenance orders can be complicated. It’s critical to have adept legal counsel who can evaluate your case and fight for your rights. At The Edelsteins, Faegenburg & Brown, LLP, our attorneys provide reliable representation and compassionate counsel for modifications of court orders. Call (212) 425-1999 to schedule a consultation or contact us now to learn how we can help.